Monday, March 26, 2012

My Jeans Marathon

The 12in12in12 is moving along, with our 3rd marathon under our belt. The first three of our 12 marathons in 12 months have been unique in their own ways. The first being in Miami, a city I love because I always have an unreal time whenever I visit, and this time was no exception (thanks to Steph, owner of Cheeseburger Baby - the best cheeseburger dive in the world that somehow Guy Fiere has never been to!).

Then there was Myrtle Beach in February. Missed my flight. Rented a car. Left at 3:30 Friday. Drove for 11 hours. Slept 2 hours. Ran marathon. Flew home after. Overall time spent in Myrtle Beach was approximately 12 hours. Crazy.

For our 3rd marathon, we ran in Cape May, NJ. A very small marathon called the Ocean Drive marathon. It was memorable. See below.
Yes, that is me, running in jeans! I got the idea from an awesome website I heard about in Runner's World, http://www.joggingjeans.com/. Basically, it is a site dedicated to individuals, who, well... jog in jeans. Some people do it for fun, others do it because at 80 years old that's just what you do. So I thought I would do it too. Here I am with Craig before the race, with a smile, but not sure what I was getting myself into.
As you can see, I completed the look with huge belt buckle, camo shirt and 19 year old (literally) hat. And for the last month grew out a fu mancu mustache. Below is an action shot right within the first mile. So at this point, I'm still feeling good. The few people I told before the marathon had me thinking there would be serious chafing issues. Also, the forecast called for rain, so I wasn't sure what it would feel like to run in waterlogged jeans, but I was prepared to find out.
But, as you can see from the smile on our faces below at the finish line, we made it, the jeans held up, and I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't have many issues. I sacrificed some comfort, couldn't really stretch since denim doesn't really have the appropriate elasticity, and ignored the numerous looks I received from "real runners" who obviously didn't approve of my non-technical gear.
Craig posted the picture on his facebook page and then sent me this picture with his facebook comments attached. It's hard to read on my blog, but if you can zoom in or download the picture, there's some pretty good comments. I especially liked the question, "Did Schultz bag a 10-pointer on the way to the race?"
In about a week, check out the website, http://www.joggingjeans.com/. I submitted my picture and am hoping she will post it on the site. Even if I don't make the cut, it is pretty awesome site to check out just for fun.

Our next race, marathon #4 of the 12in12in12 is coming up in less than 2 weeks. Craig and I will be running the hilly Charlottesville, VA marathon. Wish us luck, we may need it!

2 comments:

  1. "...if I don't make the cut" Hahahahaha!
    You and your jeans are my new favorite post!

    http://joggingjeans.wordpress.com/2012/03/28/iheartdan/

    ReplyDelete