Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Training, trails, and toys - April 2012

T#1: Training - My continued training was interrupted after marathon #4 because of injury, luckily an injury that I think is behind me.  After the Charlottesville marathon, I went back to the hotel, showered up and my buddies and I who raced with me headed home.  On the way to the car, my foot began to hurt.  The bottom of my right foot.  It was odd because I felt great throughout the marathon, even ran home from the finish line back to my hotel (only about .5 miles but still).  My foot hurt for the next couple days, and I started to stress about the dreaded overuse stress fracture.  After an x-ray and a week of no running, the foot was better and I was back on the horse!  This weekend ran 7 miles on Saturday, 5 of them at sub 7/mile pace, then about 14 on Sunday.  This morning at my usual 5am time ran 10x1/4 mile repeats at 6/mile pace. 

T#2: Trails - My newest form of training has been to hit the trails near my house.  I am luckily enough to live near Ridley Creek State Park, that has an extensive trail system that are great for running.  Well, when I say great, I mean they kick my butt!  Basically, they are either ascending or descending the entire time, which is great for my legs.  Last weekend I ran the 3 miles to the Park, ran about 8 miles of trails and then ran home (and home is up 4 huge hills).  It was a beast of a run, and it was 48 degrees and pouring rain to top it off.  Good times!

T#3: Toys - I have been wanting to get a new running watch for some time now.  I've looked at every GPS watch on the market, read the insanely extensive reviews that people write on amazon for all of them.  I've had watches on hold at running stores.  Not sure what I was waiting for, but I finally invested in the Garmin Forerunner 210 and love it.  It gives me everything I want and need in a running watch, plus that little extra motivation to get out the door and run so I can play with my new toy!

Lastly, I can't stop reading about the Badwater Ultramarathon.  It is insane, intense, extreme and I can't get enough of it.  I read Dean Karnazes's second book, RUN where he talks about the race and then I bought two other books about it, want to watch the documentary Running on the Sun and have seen every Badwater race recap there is on youtube.com.  I'm not going to go so far as to say I will do it someday, but...


No comments:

Post a Comment